The client, a well-known Detroit sports figure, requested a design that would combine their desired site features and modern amenities within a natural woodland and lakefront setting. In addition to the more defined areas, much of the landscape was left open, creating active spaces for sports and recreation. Presented with a steep landscape incline that some may have seen as a deterrent, Great Oaks embraced the existing terrain and used it to our advantage: creating dramatic views to the lake and accentuating the sightlines from the pool.
The pool and lower patio were artfully set into the extreme slope, creating an opportunity for a negative edge pool and waterfall that spills downward to the walking path.
2013 Detroit Home Design Awards
2nd Place – Residential Swimming Pool & Spa
- Front Yard: dense, lush, low-structured landscape blends nicely within the wooded setting
- Front Yard: two short brick walls frame the parking court, clearly defining the parking area and the forested drive in
- Front Yard: an asphalt driveway was created to accommodate numerous vehicles and guest parking while minimizing the disruption to the site
- Back Yard: a negative edge pool with exposed aggregate patio
- Back Yard: secondary gathering area overlooking the natural pond and fountain
- Back Yard: jogging path wraps throughout the property and wetland, connecting to a lakeside sand beach and fire pit